Online operation of a business is, by nature, fueled by a series of multiple choices – from target consumers, to products, presentation, and prices. Given the loads of options, it is imperative to acquire the best tools that can walk you through decisions and help you attain ideal results.
And indeed, it would be nice to trim down the multitude of selections to only two variants.
This is why A/B testing is highly recommended to fledgling online entrepreneurs who are at lost on the possible layout and designs that they can integrate in their business website.
What is A/B testing?
A/B testing, also dubbed as split testing, is the process of creating two web page versions which will be subjected to an experiment participated by consumers. Webmasters will select a particular component and create two different variations. Suppose you chose to test the call to action button, you can craft a couple of version having different color or size, design, and font style.
These two element variations will then be integrated in the original web page, creating what is called as “variants.”
Your page variants will be shown to unsuspecting website visitor. A software or program created for test should be downloaded to split the traffic into two—one leading to variant A and the other towards variant B. Throughout the testing period, you will have to record the number of clicks, hits, purchases, downloads or subscriptions. These will serve as your metric or basis for performance evaluation. At the end of the test, you are required to make an analysis on how the variants faired up with one another. Based from the raw data, you can assess which of the two versions can help you achieve your goals or provide the best solution to your website’s problems.
The final step would then be the implementation of the design that can bring potential success.
Suffice to say, A/B testing is a marketing tool that studies the behavior of your consumers, their motivation for taking action, priorities, and general interests. As such, entrepreneurs who conduct split testing are more likely to formulate a strategy that is in parallel with the character of their niche.
This is primarily the reason why A/B testing works.
Why does A/B testing work?
It is not too difficult to infer that accurate and appropriate A/B testing can make a colossal different to your “bottom line.” Given that the process involves plethora of controlled tests and generation of trustworthy empirical data, entrepreneurs can make wise decisions on probably marketing strategies that suits your company and products best.
After all, tweaking the websites without prior tests and weighing of consequences is outright ludicrous. As oppose to this, one variation that significantly performs better than the other ensures that the resources you earmarked and your investment would bear highly likable results.
When Split testing is conducted at a regular basis (ideally before updating the site for SEO purposes), you can earn great improvements in your bottom line. The procedure works as it gives you an idea on which decision or action should be made. Everything you do online would therefore have a new meaning and reason – A/B testing provides evidences that can back your choices.
As a result, you can integrate wiser marketing tactics and amass much-needed materials from the outset.
Data from A/B testing is soundest when you reach statistical significance. This is when your test successfully matured and point to solid a conclusion on which version – A or B – is better. The trick is to check the confidence level from the test: the higher it is, the more accurate your test results are.
It is imperative to attain 95% confidence level in split testing, leaving mere 5% as the chance of basing your decisions on randomly gathered data.
Most importantly, you have to keep in mind that the success of the experiment depends on how well-versed you are in the process. It is therefore important to know the nitty-gritty of it all before plunging into the test. The more you know, the more split testing would work for you.
[quote]Ruben Corbo is a freelance writer that writes about technology, gaming, music, and online marketing especially topics about A/B split testing and how to run multivariate tests. Want to learn more about A/B testing? You can find more information on the Maxymiser guide to A/B Testing. Ruben is also an avid gamer and music composer for short films and other visual arts.[/quote]